Sunday 18 April 2010

Learning diary 4

This week I have been thinking about completing activity 7, which is to design a research tool. Peter’s blog on creating a survey shows there are many things to think about when writing the survey….
Including; what questions should be asked? How should the question be phrased?
How to ask good questions? What is the best sequence?
It is also important to consider clarity, make sure each respondent answers the questions in the same way.
Keep the language simple and keep the questions clear and easy to understand and don’t get caught up in jargon or complexity if possible.
Make your choices more concrete.
I designed my survey named “Attending a cabaret performance” and have really enjoyed looking at people’s response. Although this is only a pilot survey it has given me a good starting ground and many things to consider when I do start my project.

Although the blogs have again been a tremendous help as I am unable to attend any of the campus sessions I have found the past weeks a little stressful. At times when I check the blog and see how far along some people are in the module and the detailed work they are producing I have simple felt completely out of my depth. I have begun to work through the activities, only then to question if I am on the right lines and feel frustrated that in my moment of panic I am not producing my best work. I suppose that’s a performers trait that we are never satisfied and always aiming to do it better.

As the time has passed I have always had the theme of my project floating around in my head but I have been forced to whittle it down and have come up with the working title “To produce a business plan for a performance in the style of cabaret in the UK”. I am quite excited by my research, it is a vast topic but I hope to learn a lot.
Planning my research proposal has made me realize just how much there is to consider.

Another major consideration is ethics, which was covered largely at the campus session along with a few other things.

Rosemary’s slide “ ethical issues in research” was very helpful.

Ethical issues

“You must always drive on the left hand side of the road in England.”
This is legislation- a rule which is cohered to in order to prevent accidents. This is pragmatic ethics.

“Adults must not have sexual relations minors.”
This is called moral ethics.

Moral ethics can be defined as those principles on which our moral decisions are based.
Ethics are the sense of right and wrong, good and evil. Values and responsibility.
Ethical considerations

*Be ethical in the questions you set. Don’t show bias.
*Be aware of deliberate fraud to produce desired results.
*Do not lie.
*You must state how you define confidentiality and anonymity to avoid misconceptions.
* Carefully consider what you are promising to participants particularly when considering the previous point.
*Consider any risks to humans when conducting an experiment-if in doubt would you be prepared to do it yourself?
*Be aware of potentially sensitive subject matters- e.g eating disorders. Don’t push for answers people don’t want to give.
*Don’t lie, never turn data into “deliberate fraud” in order to get the desired out come.
* It is important to obtain consent from participants in your research, this is usually a signed consent form that provides sufficient background info of your proposal.
*Minors need careful consideration.
*As you participants are voluntarily partaking in your research, it is important to advise that they have the right to withdraw any comments at any time- even after the data has been gathered.
*As a researcher I must carefully consider confidentiality and respect of participants privacy. How will I avoid identifying individuals, for example in a small organization be aware of using easily identifiable titles such as head teacher, manager ect.
*How will I store any data I gather? In a locked draw? On a computer? With a password?
*What will I do with the data after I have finished with it? I must do what I promised to do with it eg: shred/ delete/ wipe off of dictaphone.

I must now complete my project proposal and send it to my tutor for feedback. I will also complete the required activities once I am a hundred percent clear what I am supposed to be doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment