Monday 5 October 2009

how we see ourself?

Just a quick thought before bed... I went to an audition earlier today, which actually inspired me to go and take class, something I don't do often enough!
While i was dancing I felt ok, I seemed to be on the right track so I thought, then i caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye in the mirror, and I looked nothing like I imagined! In fact I was quite disturbed! Do we go around seeing what we want believe? only to have these brief moments of realization? I used to dread the video camera coming out at college as I have always been self critical, but i think after being left to my own devices more or less since graduating i could do with seeing the evidence a bit more!
What do you feel like when you see a video of yourself? Is it generally what you invisaged?

4 comments:

  1. Its hard these days to be able to watch yourself in a mirror when you are working professionally.
    I mean you rehearse on stage where there are no mirrors. I myself find it frustrating as like you said when you finally watch yourself on video you look nothing like you think you do
    I also think watching other dancers help
    I went to see the Moulin Rouge last night as I am due to start there this month and no matter how many times I see the show I always find see something new or notice a different dancer.
    I truly think it will help me when I start in knowing what to do and what not to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mirrors!!! All I can say is that we need then for rehearsals.
    The past few years I have been working around the world on Cruise Ships and then on land in a Cabaret in France not once did we have mirrors to rehearse in front of,
    I am currently rehearsing for Moulin and we have mirrors in which we rehearse in front of.
    I am shocked to find out that certain things I do now are bad habits, The typical Show girl beville is now something that i need to work on , Over the years I have developed a bad habit and now can see it in front of the mirror.
    Its really hard now to put it right
    And just let me say Tara had the hips and knee right in the beville pose.!!! You know what I am talking about !
    Learning how to do it like you now

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am unsure if what we see is completely different to what we think were doing or that watching ourselves we are just overly self critical, therefore seeing only the negatives when we feel only the positives...if you can understand what i mean its very hard to write it in words!

    However...i feel exactly the same as you, i dont think anyone is ever happy with the work they produce there is always someone or something doing it better, and this I guess as dancers is our goal, being that someone who is doing it better than everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It think this is a really important observation. To see ourselves in a situation. Where is the 'I'. In research it is really important too. So often you're with yourself, you forget you're there.(If that makes sense!.)

    Sometimes how we feel and what we are doing (look like) are so different.

    This is a great example of an excerpt from a Reflective Diary.
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete